Monday, October 25, 2010

I Never Knew Your Name

Title: I Never Knew Your Name
Author: Sherry Garland
Illustrator: Sheldon Greenberg
Type: Picture Book
Age: Upper elementary and older
Rating: 5

Summary:A little boy recalls his memories of the teenager across the street who committed suicide.


After reading this book, I was speech less. I couldn't believe this little boy was so impacted by the death of the teenager. It then immediately make think of all the times I may have laughed at a joke at the extent of someone else or when I was the bunt of the jokes. Children and teenagers can be very cruel to one another without realizing it. The little boy describes all the times he saw the teenager alone, or being laughed at. He also expresses how there were many times he was going to try and hang out with the teen but it always seemed like a bad time. The book ends with the little boy saying, "I'm sorry I never knew your name. I wish we could have been friends."


I think a lot of children and teenagers can relate to this book. I think not only can it be used as a tool to teach about suicide but I think it can also be used as a suicide prevention book. I think it allows teens or children to learn that there is someone in the world, wether you know it or not, that will miss you if you take your own life. I rated this book for upper elementary and teenagers because I think suicide is tough topic to talk about and I am not sure younger children would be able to handle it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment