Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fly Away Home (10/12)

Title: Fly Away Home
Author: Eve Bunting
Illustrated by: Ronald Himler
Ages: 5-10
Type: Controversial Picture book
Rating: 4

Summary: A boy and his father are homeless and spend their days and nights in an airport.

This book represents the harsh realities of life. I feel so many books, TV shows and movies display the perfection of life. The fairytale dipicition of "They lived happily every after." Real life isn't like this and I'm glad that Eve Bunting crosses the boundaries that Disney has set up for children. That is why I enjoyed this book so much because it wasn't a typical story where everything works out perfectly.

In the article, "Outrageous Viewpoints: Teachers' Criteria for Rejecting Works of Children's Literature" the author discusses many teacher's opinions on controversial books. In the article Fly Away Home is discussed One teacher commented, "This book will frighten children. They might be afraid that they will become homeless." Other general comments by teachers were "This book evokes grief and fear for children."

I would have to disagree with all of these reviews. I think children would appreciate the life that they do have after reading this book. For the most part, children reading this book do have a home so reading this book would make then appreciate what their family has instead what they don't have. I know that is how I felt after reading this book. It made me think of the all Christmases when I cried because I didn't get the giant Barbie Girl Doll house that I always put on my Christmas list. Instead of crying I should have been thankful that my parents were able to provide me with a warm bed, food and clothes.

Lastly, this book provides hope. It doesn't leave you thinking that he will be homeless for the rest of his life. The last line in the book states, "Then I remember the bird. It took a while, but a door opened. And when the bird left, when it flew free, I know it was singing." He is talking about how someday his life will turn around, an opportunity will be provided for him or his father and they will fly. Everybody needs a little bit of this hope and inspiration in their life.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was great that you read and mentioned an outside source that talks about controversial children's literature!

    ReplyDelete