Monday, October 4, 2010

A Brother's Grimm Tale-The Lady and the Lion (10/12)

Title: A Brother's Grimm Tale- The Lady and The Lion
Author: Jauqueline K. Ogburn
Illustrator: Laurel Long
Ages: 5-8
Type: Fantasy-picture book
Rating: 3.5

Summary: In order, to save her own father's life, a lady is sent to live with a lion. By mistake, the lady and the lion fall in love. Their love, is put to the test though as an evil woman tries to separate the two lovers. The lady is faced with many obstacles as she fights to prove her love for the lion.


There were a few things I liked about this book and I few things that I did not like. I really liked the unexpected relationship between the lion and the lady. It reminded me of the beauty and the beast. Their love, is present throughout the whole book. I also really liked the illustrations. It was extremely detailed and full of color. I actually think I liked looking at the illustrations more then I liked reading the book.

I did not like how long the book was! I felt like I was reading a novel instead of a children's picture book. There was way too much going on at the same time during the book. The lion was a lion by day and a man by night. But then if he touched light at all while he was a man then he would turn into a dove. It was really confusing to try and keep up. Also it was confusing to me why he would have two spells cast on him. I thought being a lion during the day was a good enough spell. Also, once he turned into the dove then the lady had to follow him for seven years. I thought that was going to be the main problem in the story and then they would have lived "happily ever after." Wrong. Then the evil lady gets a hold of the dove and the lady is filled with a number of obstacles until she is finally reunited with her love. Overall, I just thought there was too much action. I kept expecting the end to come and then another problem would arise. That disengaged me from the book so I didn't enjoy it as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment