Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Sister's Rusty Bike (9/28/2010)

Title: My Sister's Rusty Bike
Author: Jim Aylesworth
Illustrator: Richard Hull
Ages: 5-8
Type: Picture Book
Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary:  A boy travels around the country on his sister's rusty bike finding unqiue and interesting people and places he thinks, "you'll really like." Through alliteration he describes his encounters of people and their talents.

I enjoyed this book because of all the fun alliterations and rhythmic flow. I especially liked all the odd things that are going in the book. For example when he rides to Pennsylvania and meets a guy named Gilly Gibbs, "His hens lay colored eggs. In fact, they lay so many, Gill gathers them in kegs." Then you look at the picture and see all the different colors eggs the chickens are laying. This is something you would never see in real life so I found it quite enjoyable. Another one of my favorite parts is when he goes to Indiana and he says, "A guy lives there named Buddy Biggs. His cow has spots of blue. I did not count her right but her left has twenty-two." As soon as I read that line I counted the spots on the cow.


Overall, this book is just extremely fun. You never know what to expect on the next page! A review by Kirkus Reviews states; 
"Each state's attractions are more wacky than the next (and more nonsensical, with more comedic impact than links to specific states or regions), and all are perfectly complemented by Hull's highly detailed gouache paintings of landscapes and faces (not to mention chickens) that show what happens when Grant Wood meets Technicolor. A quirky and wonderful journey. "
I couldn't agree more with this review. There is no better way to describe this book other then "a quirky wonderful journey"

No comments:

Post a Comment