Friday, September 10, 2010

Everybody Needs a Rock




Title: Everybody Needs A Rock 
Author: Byrd Baylor
Illustrator: Peter Parnall
Age: Upper school aged Children
Type: Picture Book
Rating: 3.5 out of 5




In this picture book Byrd Baylor, describes how she thinks it is important for everybody to have a rock. She also describes ten rules for picking out the perfect rock for yourself. She also explains how and why the ten rules are so important to picking your rock.


I'm still sitting here trying to think of how I really feel about this book. I find it confusing. I'm trying to decide if the rock in this book is a symbolism for something else or if it is actually about a rock.Even though I did not enjoy this book, I can see how people who have an appreciation for rocks and nature would love this book. For example a book review by Bruce Crocker. He describes his absolute love for this book. He states that someone finally understand his appreciation for rocks. Maybe if I were a rock person I could relate to this book, or maybe if I went out and found a special rock. Maybe that is what Byrd Baylor is trying to get people to do? Get people to go out and find their own rock?


I may have not particularly enjoyed this book but I can definitely  push the criticism aside and see how deeply passionate Baylor is for nature. She does a very good job at describing how to find the perfect rock. Describing the smells, colors, and sizes of a rock. Who knew a rock could have a smell! That was probably the most interesting part of the book for me. It actually tempted me to go out and start smelling rocks. I also found it especially interesting that she said rocks can have many different colors depending on lighting. She also states the best way to see the color of a rock is to dip it in "a clear mountain steam." It paints a picture about the uniqueness of rocks and also the caring for a rock. I also am very eager to dip a rock in a mountain stream now! I do have to say my favorite part is when Baylor writes,


"Evberybody needs a rock. 
I'm sorry for kids who don't have a rock for a friend. 
I'm sorry for kids who only have TRICYCLES BICYCLES HORSES ELEPHANTS GOLDFISH THREE-ROOM PLAYHOUSES FIRE ENGINES WIND-UP DRAGONS AND THINGS LIKE THAT-- if they don't have a rock for a friend."  

I especially like this line because so many children and adults are obsessed with having the best toys and they do not have an any appreciate for the little things in life. The girl little in this book does not need anyone else expect for her rock. I think that sends a very powerful message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment