Monday, September 13, 2010

Amber Brown Is Not A Crayon









Title: "Amber Brown Is Not A Crayon"
Author: Paula Danziger
Type: Novel
Ages: 2nd-4th grade
Rating: 4 out of 5


Summary: Amber Brown is a quirky and messy third grader. She has a best friend named Justin Daniels. The two do absolutely everything together...that is until they find out that Justin's family is moving away. They get into their first fight. Amber and Justin struggle to talk and cope with the fact that their dynamic duo will be split. 


I really enjoyed this novel. Danziger brings humor into everything she writes but yet provides a valued lesson in growing up. I love how the sentences are short and sweet. It makes it more enjoyable to read and also keeps you on your toes. When reading this book I am brought back to elementary school when me and my best friend were inseparable. We were a lot like Amber and Justin. I do not know what I would have done if one of us would have had to move. This novel really makes me think how my life would have changed if my best friend was taken away from me. 


I find it funny that this book represents the gender roles that usually are present later in life. For example, Amber really wants to just talk about the move and how Justin feels about moving away. Justin is reluctant to talk about it and just wants to pretend like he isn't moving. I feel like when you grow up, you learn that males are not very good at expressing how they feel and they would much rather not talk about it. It's interesting and insightful that Danziger introduces this gender separation at such a young age. 


I was extremely surprised at how much I could relate to Amber Brown, considering she is a fictional third grader. She is upset when Justin doesn't want to talk about the move and when they get in their first fight. She sits and cries in her room in order to get her emotions out. I think sometimes life can be so frustrating and when you can't control it, you just want to cry. Sometimes most adults cannot express their feelings the way she does. Danziger does a nice job at expressing adulthood and maturity in this third grader. At the same though, Danziger still keeps that child-like attitude in Amber. Before Amber cries she starts to make a list of potential "new best friends." Crossing out ones that already have a best friend, are repulsive, or that she just simply cannot get a long with.  Danziger provides a good balance of childhood and adulthood when describing Amber's experiences and actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment