Tuesday, September 21, 2010

For Sale: One Sister-Cheap! (9/28/2010)

Title: For Sale: One Sister-Cheap!
Authors: Katie Alder and Rachel McBride
Illustrations: Mike Venezia
Age: Preschool and early grade school
Type: Picture book
Rating: 5 out of 5

Summary: Sarah, a pesky little sister is always annoying her big brother. Her big brother sets out on a mission to sell his sister. When he finally does he discovers how life is going to be very different without his sister by his side.

I absolutely loved this book. It is such a humorous story that every little kid and adult can relate to. I can just picture my older brother doing the same thing to me and my sister. One of my favorite parts is that the whole book he is pulling his sister in a red wagon trying to sell her to everyone he encounters. When he finally does sell her, he heads back home with the wagon and says; "On the way home the wagon was easy to pull. But there was no one to talk to. At the lemonade stand there was a little girl that sort of looked like Sarah. I offered her a ride in my wagon. But she said she didn't like boys. Sarah likes boys." He is starting to realize how life would be without Sarah. He continues to recall all the things that were going to be different because Sarah wouldn't be there.

From reading this book, I learned a valuable lesson in appreciating siblings. When annoyed with my brother and sister as a child I never stopped to think about what life would be life without them. I just wanted them to get out of my life! After reading this, I wish I would have tried to sell my brother and sister and then learned how much I really needed them in life. Overall, I think this is a very warm and heart felt book that teaches the importance of siblings and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment