Monday, November 8, 2010

My People (11/9)

Title: My People
Author: Langston Hughes
Photographs by: Charles R. Smith Jr.
Rating: 5
Type: Picture Book

Summary: A poem describing all the different shades of African Americans.

The first thing to notice in this book are the real life pictures. The pictures are so moving and inspiring and capture real life expressions of people. I feel like I am right there with the people in this book. Also it is important to notice how Langston describes "his people." He compares African American complexion to the night but also compares it to the sun. He ties it all together by saying "Beautiful also, are the souls of my people." To me Langston is first describing an eclectic mix of appearances of his people but than connects it to importance of the souls of his people. I think this is important because there was a time when African Americans were judged by their appearance and not accepted in society. Langston is addressing the appearance of his people but also stressing the importance of inner beauty in the soul


In the article "Multi cultural Children's Literature as Instrument of Power by Stuart H.D Cong, he states 


"The authenticity debate in children’s literature particularly addresses this intersection within racial and cultural contexts: the power to narrate, the power to tell one’s own story, the power to self-determine, the power to self-realize, the power to self-represent, the power to change inequity into equity, the power to articulate reparation for historical injustice."


In my opinion, in My People, Langston Hughes displays the power to tell one's own story, the power to self realize and the power to self-represent. He is embracing himself and his people, which to me is extremely powerful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment