Monday, November 8, 2010

Everybody Cooks Rice (11/7

Title: Everybody Cooks Rice
Author: Norah Dooley
Illustrations: Peter J. Thornton
Type: Picture book
Ages: 4-8 year olds
Rating: 4

Summary: A little girl learns that all different cultures cook rice when she is sent out to find her little brother.

What first attracted me to this book was the title. As a child my favorite food was rice, so of course I wanted to read a book all about rice. This book explores people form all different countries such as Barbados, Mexico, Vietnam, India, China, and Haiti. We learn all about the different kinds of rice that are made in these countries. I really liked this book because it takes a common dish in America and explores all the different ways it can be cooked in different countries.

My favorite part about this book was when the author writes, "Everyone at the Huas' house using chopsticks. Mei-Li, who is only three and a half years old, can even pick up a single grain of rice with her chopsticks!" I used to babysit a two year old who was half Chinese and half American. I remember the day she learned how to use chopsticks, as soon as I walked in the door she had to show me what she could do. This book provides me with a lot of emotional connections which is why I love it so much.

Also, in the back of the book is the recipe to all the meals mention in the book. I think it would be really interesting if a classroom were to make one or all of the dishes in the back of book. This would be a fun way to incorporate the book into the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment